• What would be your dream farmhouse?

by  • 21/03/2012 • Country style • 8 Comments

What does the word ‘farmhouse’ conjure up in your mind? Is it fresh eggs for breakfast, wooden beams or relaxed living? For me, I can’t help but think of living on a farmhouse as being akin with nature and having the freshest homegrown ingredients on your doorstep. In the beautiful new book Perfect English Farmhouse by Ros Byam Shaw (£30, Ryland Peters & Small), you will find farmhouses of contrasting styles and chapters are divided according to style: Organic, Traditional, Farm Fresh, No Frills and Funky. I particularly love the idea that this stylish home office used to be a sheep pen. It now looks anything but, and the old metal desk looks stunning against Cole & Son’s Hummingbirds wallpaper. Whether you live in a farmhouse now, or simply dream about living in one, this book will definitely provide you with plenty of inspiration. Let me know what you think. I would love to hear from you…

Perfect English Farmhouse by Ros Byam Shaw (£30 hardback, Ryland, Peters & Small). Photographs by Jan Baldwin.

It is hard to believe that this stunning office used to be a sheep pen.

8 Responses to What would be your dream farmhouse?

1. 21/03/2012 at 1:25 pm

I definitely love the idea of living on a farm (or rather a small holding) with, perhaps, a selection of animals and cottages to rent out!

• Marina Licht
        21/03/2012 at 2:33 pm

Hi Lizzy,

Thanks for your response. I like how practical you are i.e.thinking of generating an income whilst living on your ‘dream farmhouse!’

• 21/03/2012 at 3:27 pm

Haha! I have probably thought about this too much 😉

2. 21/03/2012 at 2:18 pm

This looks like a very nice book – a feast for the eyes, something to be jealous about and dream of… If I had a farm house (definitely need one!) I think I’d love a bit of everything: close to nature, lots of fresh produce, colourful flower beds, orchard… so the style would be eclectic.

• Marina Licht
        21/03/2012 at 2:35 pm

Thanks for posting on my blog. I love the idea of your eclectic farmhouse-it would definitely be worth a visit.

3. 21/03/2012 at 5:04 pm

Oh, how fun! I have “Perfect English Cottage” – it’s such a good read! and, your words are a good read, too – spurring me on to some very pleasant thoughts. Living in Vermont, the iconic ideal of ‘farmhouse’ is Tasha Tudor’s. Do you know it? =]

• Marina Licht
        26/03/2012 at 10:03 am

No I don’t, but I shall take a look. Glad you liked the post.

4. Pingback: translations